Detention Center
Crime Prevention Services
Public Records
Guardian RFID

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Our FAQ page is designed to help our readers find information for those questions and concerns that are common to many.  While not all inclusive, it should aid you by providing answers to questions that we are asked on a regular basis.  If you feel that additional questions should be added to this page, please contact the Webmaster.

Q: What are the main telephone numbers to the Sheriff's Office and Detention Center?
A: The downtown office can be contacted by calling 379-2900. The Detention Center can be contacted by calling 335-4100.

Q: How can I check to see if I have a warrant for my arrest?
A: We do not give out warrant information over the phone. You must present yourself in person to our warrants section, which is located at 13103 NE 29th Ave. If you KNOW that you have an active warrant for your arrest or for additional information click here.

Q: I know somebody who has a warrant for their arrest. What should I do?
A: If you know where somebody is that has a warrant for their arrest, you can contact our warrants section at 379-2982.

Q: I wish to file a citizen's complaint against a PCSO employee. How do I do this?
A: Fill out a Citizen Complaint Form and drop it off the the receptionist in the Sheriff's Office. A completed form may also be faxed or mailed to the Sheriff's Office. Instructions for doing so are on the Complaint Form. These forms may be picked up from the receptionist during normal business hours, or you may download the form here.

Q: What is the phone number to the Probation Office?
A: The Probation Office is not a part of the Sheriff's Office. You may call them at 378-3700.

Q: I think I have written bad checks that have been turned over to Potter County. How can I take care of this?
A: You can contact the Potter County Hot Check Office at 379-2271. They will give you the necessary information about how to handle the problem.

Q: How do I go about filing a report?
A: The first thing that needs to be determined is whether the offense you are reporting occurred inside or outside the city limits. Even if you reside in the rural county area, you must file your report with the Amarillo Police Department if the offense occurred inside the city limits. If your reported offense occurred outside the city limits, you can either call the Sheriff's Office to have a deputy dispatched to your residence or workplace to take the report, or you may come in person to 608 S. Pierce where a deputy will meet with you to take the report. If you are reporting an offense that involves theft or vandalism, it is always best to have a deputy meet with you at the place of occurrence so that we may take necessary pictures and/or gather any evidence discovered during our initial investigation.

Q: Where can I get fingerprints taken for specific reasons?
A: Fingerprints are being required for more jobs today than ever before. The Sheriff's Office offers fingerprinting services to citizens for a fee of $10 per fingerprint card required. Payment for the fingerprinting is cash only. We do not accept checks or credit/debit cards at this time. The service is offered Monday - Friday from 9:00AM - 4:00PM.

As of March, 2011: Individuals requiring fingerprints for a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) may no longer use inked fingerprint cards for their application packets. Fingerprint submissions for this license MUST be done electronically. For more information about authorized services, see the Texas DPS website here.

Additionally, we offer an identification kit for children and elderly who are prone to wander off. The kit includes a basic set of fingerprints that we take and also has a place for you to add a photograph and address information. This kit and service are free for children and those diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

Q: I am required to register as a sex offender. When and where should I do this?
A: Sex offender registration is required for those who are convicted of this type criminal offense. Registrations are conducted Monday - Friday from 9:00AM - 4:00PM. This required registration is done at the Sheriff's Office located at 608 S. Pierce.

Q: How can I tell if someone is in jail?
A: On the front page of this website, or "Public Information" drop-down menu above, is a link for our jail roster. This roster is in a .PDF format and is available daily to include a full jail roster as well as a daily book-in roster. The roster is sorted by inmate name in alphabetical order.

As of April, 2011, the Sheriff's Office has moved to a new management system that adds abbreviated codes to the beginning of all charges. The codes reflect the level of offense the inmate is being charged with. The codes MA, MB, and MC indicate the level of misdemeanor offense and the codes FX, F1, F2, F3 and FS indicate the level of felony offense. The code NA will be used if a level of offense does not apply to that particular charge. This can be in reference to probation violations, out of state offenses, or offenses where only a fine is still owed.

Q: What items am I allowed to send to an inmate?
A: You may send letters, money orders, small photographs (inmates are allowed to have three photographs, no Polaroids), legal papers, a paperback book, and a small, soft cover bible.

Q: Can I send a book to an inmate?
A: A soft cover book may be sent to an inmate. The books become the property of the Potter County Jail Library when the inmate is finished with the book or when the inmate is released from custody. Inmates are not allowed to have magazines or newspapers. Please do not send or subscribe inmates to magazines, newspapers or other periodicals.

Q: Can I send a bible or other religious materials?
A: A soft cover bible may be sent to an inmate. If the inmate already has a bible, any additional bibles received will be placed in the inmate's personal property, which is stored by the Sheriff's Office in a secure property room.

Q: What happens to the property I send that cannot be kept by the inmate?
A: The property will be returned to sender at the sender's expense.

Q: How do I send money to an inmate?
A: You may mail cashiers checks or money orders to an inmate. We will not accept cash or personal checks. The funds will be applied to the inmate's commissary account. Inmates are not allowed to have currency or cash in their possession. The cashiers check or money order should include the inmate's full name printed legibly on the face of the document. The cashiers check or money order should be sealed in an envelope and mailed to:

Inmate's full name
Potter County Detention Center
13100 NE 29th
Amarillo, TX 79111

The sender should include a return address with the name and address of the sender printed legibly on the face of the envelope in the upper left hand corner. This way the mail may be returned to sender in the event the inmate has already been released from custody when we receive your mail.

Q: Can an inmate send ME money?
A: No. Inmates are not allowed to send money through the mail.

Q: How much money can I send/bring to an inmate?
A: There is no limit to the amount of money you can send or bring to an inmate as long as the funds are in the form of a cashiers check or money order.

Q: How do I address letters to make sure the inmate receives them?
A: You must include the inmate's full name and the address of the Potter County Detention Center. You must also include the senders name and return address printed legibly in the upper left hand corner of the envelope.

Inmate's full name
Potter County Detention Center
13100 NE 29th
Amarillo, TX 79111

Q: What are the visitation hours and what are the rules associated with visitation?
A: As of 08/01/10, normal visitation hours are changed from the old weekend-only schedule. The following is the current visitation schedule for inmates being housed at the Potter County Detention Center:

Sunday: No Visitation
Monday: No Visitation
Tuesday: 6:00PM - 9:00PM
Wednesday: 8:30AM - 11:30AM
Thursday: 6:00PM - 9:00PM
Friday: 8:30AM - 11:30AM
Saturday: 8:30AM - 11:30AM and 6:00PM - 9:00PM

Inmates will no longer be required to fill out an authorized visitor card. Inmates are allowed two (2) twenty minute visits per calendar week. The calendar week begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday. Only two (2) adults or one (1) adult with children under the age of 16 are allowed to visit at one time. Children under the age of 16 are required to be accompanied by an adult. Visitors are required to present proper identification containing their photograph to visit. This can include a current Texas or out of state driver license or ID card or a current military ID card. Visitors are required to be in appropriate attire at all times. Contact visits are not allowed.

Q: How long are visits?
A: Inmates are allowed two (2) twenty minute visits every calendar week.

Q: How do I arrange contact visits?
A: Contact visits are not allowed.

Q: How do I find out when an inmate is going to court?
A: The Sheriff's Office does not release this information.

Q: How can I get property from an inmate?
A: Inmates may release personal property to visitors at the inmate's request. Sheriff's Office personnel will complete the appropriate paperwork at the time of the property release.

Q: How can I call an inmate on the phone?
A: You cannot call an inmate, however, inmates can place collect telephone calls from their housing assignments.

Q: How do I receive calls from an inmate?
A: Inmates can place collect telephone calls from their housing assignments.

Q: My phone will not accept collect phone calls. What can I do to change this?
A: You must contact your local telephone company.

Q: How do I stop an inmate from calling me from the Detention Center?
A: Contact the Detention Center and request a "call block" to be placed on your phone number.

Q: What is "Commissary"?
A: Commissary is the term used to identify items that the inmates are allowed to purchase from the Sheriff's Office. These items include various snacks, undergarments, writing materials, and personal hygiene items.

Potter County Homepage
Contact Us
Off-Duty Management
Sheriff's Homepage